1951 – The Pinetree Line
Canada and the United States reach an agreement to establish the Pinetree Line of 33 radar stations roughly along the 50th parallel, just north of the Canadian-American border. Defence Construction’s role involves the procurement of Canadian construction contractors and suppliers – keeping both sovereignty and cost control.

1953 – The Accelerated Defence Programme
Strengthening the Canadian Armed Forces is given a high priority in the early 1950s: some $200 to $300 million is designated for upgrading and expanding DND facilities. Defence Construction puts in place tenders and supervises the many Air Force and Army contracts based on plans and specifications for the work.

1954 – The Mid-Canada Line
By the end of 1954, Defence Construction is responsible for awarding the construction and some winter transportation contracts for the Mid-Canada Line—a radar network that would eventually become eight attended Section Control Stations spaced some 400 miles apart with 90 unattended Doppler Detection Stations spaced some 30 miles apart between them.

1954 – The Distant Early Warning (DEW) Line
Canada and the United States agree to an experimental program that will ultimately become the DEW Line in the Canadian Arctic, roughly along the 70th parallel and stretching more than 8,046 kilometres, 5,944 of which are in Canada. The U.S. will pay for the line, but is required to use Canadian contractors and labour.

1956 – The Northern Ontario Pipeline
The pipeline to export Alberta natural gas to eastern Canadian markets is considered a crucial supply line from the west to the east. Defence Construction signs two agreements with the Northern Ontario Pipeline Crown Corporation (NOPL): first for the provision of administrative and supervisory personnel; and second for construction and engineering services and administrative assistance. In October 1958 the pipeline is complete – overcoming the challenges of terrain, rock and muskeg.

1961 – The Experimental Army Signals Establishment (EASE)
Commonly known as the Diefenbunker, EASE is built in Carp, Ontario between 1959 and 1961 to shelter Canada’s leaders in the event of nuclear war. It is designed to resist a 5-megaton nuclear weapon detonating 1.1 miles away, resulting in a 100,000-square-foot, four-storey structure surrounded by a layer of gravel five feet thick. Operated by DND from 1959 to 1994, the Diefenbunker is opened to the public as a museum in 1998.

1962 – The Semi-Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE)
The SAGE Control Centre is built underground at North Bay with the requirement to integrate all additional radar systems and computer technology with human operators to coordinate the high-speed continent-wide air battle that would happen in the case of a Soviet attack. RCAF Construction Engineers have overall project responsibility for the construction, with Defence Construction awarding and administering contracts.

1963 – World’s Fair (Expo 67)
Cabinet approves Defence Construction Limited (DCL) running the contracting system for Expo 67. DCL’s most substantial and long-term assistance involves handling the tender calls and the subsequent stages of contracts. Between 1963 and 1967, DCL coordinates 712 contracts for a total value of $140 million.

1966 – Halifax Syncrolift
Defence Construction tenders the $4.5 million contract for the construction of the new Syncrolift drydock in Halifax. It is a new method of drydocking ships, designed specifically to handle the new Royal Canadian Navy submarines.

1967 – Housing in Lahr, Germany
The departure of all NATO forces from France, including the Royal Canadian Air Force’s move from France to Germany, requires the move of DCL’s European office from Paris to Lahr. One of the contracts awarded by DCL is for the rehabilitation of 996 PMQs at Lahr. Additional responsibilities are handed over to DCL at this time, as it takes over construction for the Canadian Army Brigade in Europe.

Late 1960s – Canadian Forces Supplementary Radio System (CFSRS)
The CFSRS is intended to support signals intelligence activities and involves projects at Naval Radio Station Bermuda and at Masset, Gander and Leitrim. Work on the CFSRS provides some of the largest contracts awarded by DCL.

1970s – BATUS and GATES
Defence Construction grows partially as a result of Canada’s NATO commitments at home. Construction of training facilities for British and German forces include $8.2 million contracts awarded to build base and training facilities for the British Army Training Unit at Suffield (BATUS) and $3.1 million for facilities for the German Army Training Unit at Shilo (GATES).

1970s – St. Jean Megaplex
The megacomplex in St. Jean, Quebec (known as the megaplex) is one of DCL’s largest projects in the 1970s with a budget of $88 million. It varies in height from five to 12 floors and stretches for 1,400 feet including accommodation, classrooms, dining facilities and physical training facilities.

1973 – Strategic Automated Message Switching Operational Network (SAMSON)
Defence Construction is given responsibility for awarding contracts regarding the new strategic communications equipment including inspections and payments for SAMSON’s facilities in Penhold, Halifax, Borden, Carp and CFB Lahr. Contracts worth almost $2 million are awarded in 1974-75 for building modifications.

1976 – The Aurora Program
The need for a new long-range maritime patrol aircraft results in the acquisition of the Aurora aircraft. New facilities for the aircraft are needed on the Atlantic and Pacific coasts. DCL’s Atlantic branch witnesses an unprecedented increase in workload during 1978 and 1979.

1980s – Ship Repair Units
Ship Repair Units (SRUs) are being built to provide for the repair, maintenance and overhaul of the Navy’s ships. Work begins with construction of the $93 million Jetty 2 at the Halifax dockyard. The SRU Atlantic building and Jetty 8 are completed in 1984 as well as projects such as the Maritime Command’s new $15 million headquarters building. Construction of the SRU for Canada’s Pacific coast follows with a 9,500-square-metre building for light and heavy shops, and relocation and demolition of older structures. In the late 1980s, construction begins with $49 million in awarded contracts for the SRU Pacific and its related jetties at Esquimalt.

1982 – The Hornet Programme
The purchase of the CF-18 Hornet as Canada’s new fighter aircraft to carry out sovereignty and air defence missions in Canada and in Europe results in contracts for the design of a number of buildings, including the Multi-Use Maintenance Facility and the Flight Simulator Building at Bagotville and Cold Lake. In Europe, CF-18 project work involves conversion projects, a simulator facility and an avionics facility. The CF-18 Alert Complex at Goose Bay completes the project in the late 1980s, with four single aircraft hangars, together with equipment storage and housing for maintenance personnel and pilots.

1985 – North American Air Defence Modernization (NAADM) and the North Warning System
The $1.5 billion NAADM project would guard against long-range, low-flying cruise missiles and would include 11 manned Long Range Radar sites and 36 unmanned Automated Short Range Radar sites to be built in Canada. The first major contract is awarded with construction to begin the following fiscal year with the award of $98 million of contracts for long range radars at Cartwright and Saglek on the Labrador coast and at Brevoort Island in the Eastern Arctic. The following year DCC awards contracts for engineering and construction services worth more than $400 million for the 36 short range radar sites to be built in the Arctic.

1988 – German Air Force Hangar in Goose Bay
Goose Bay becomes an increasingly important NATO training base. Germany and Canada sign an agreement to begin low-level flying training from the base and as the training flights increase, so does the need for additional support facilities. Contracts totaling $31 million are awarded during the late 1980s to cover the three phases of construction.

1988 – Gagetown Combat Training Centre
Defence Construction awards a consultant contract for the final design of the Combat Training Centre in Gagetown – a facility for Mobile Command to train infantry, field artillery and armoured officers, consolidating schools in one central location. The $56 million project begins in 1988 and is completed and handed over to the Army in 1992.

1990 – Pinetree Line Phase-out and Cleanup
The network of radar stations is closed and removed in the 1980s; however, the land and accommodation facilities are being sold off. Defence Construction, involved in the creation of the Line, is now helping to close it down and clean up what remains.

1991 – Withdrawal from Europe
The federal government announces its withdrawal of the Canadian Forces from Europe, as there is no longer a need to view Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union as potential threats. Canadian military bases are closed, and Defence Construction Canada’s (DCC) presence in Europe follows suit. During the transition, DCC’s European Branch works to preserve buildings to return the facilities to its host nation. It also undertakes a complete review of the facilities and improvements costing in excess of $350 million.

1991 – Reserve Force Facilities
DCC becomes involved in modernizing Reserve Force Facilities across Canada. Contracts are awarded for the renovations of the Military Stores Building at Cartier Square in Ottawa, a new armoury in Bathurst, N.B., a number of armouries in Quebec, and a new armoury in Halton Hills, Ontario.

1996 – Canadian Forces Housing Agency (CFHA)
The Canadian Forces Housing Agency (CFHA) is established on April 1, 1996, to place all PMQs under a single Agency that would make the PMQs self sustaining. DCC positions itself to assist CFHA with contract and project management expertise.

1996 – DEW Line Cleanup
Although the official closure of the DEW Line was in 1993, its sites and their hazards remained. After years of investigations and consultation, a protocol is drafted regarding the specific environmental concerns. DCC takes on the full project and environmental management function to meet DND requirements.

2003 – DCC in Afghanistan
DCC begins providing support for DND in Afghanistan. Staff are deployed to Camp Julien in Kabul to establish a contracting and contract management framework for DCC support to the mission. In 2006, the Canadian Forces moved to the more volatile Kandahar Province. So did DCC staff, providing significant contracting, contract and project management services at both Kandahar Airfield and Camp Nathan Smith. DCC remained in Kandahar until the close of Canadian combat operations in 2011.

2003 – The Citadel
DCC helps to restore the Citadel in Quebec City by providing support for consultation, procurement and project management for this project. The $20 million restoration project involves dismantling stone walls, excavating, installing a drainage system, rebuilding and returning the facility to its original condition.

2005 – Hangar 1 at 19 Wing Comox
Due to its age and condition, 1 Hangar at 19 Wing Comox is slated for decommissioning. However, because of its construction materials and history during World War II, it is considered a historical resource and an ideal candidate for green demolition involving reuse or recycle of all materials. DCC is responsible for managing the construction site and arranging for the demolition contract. The hangar’s 500-year-old Douglas fir timber is sold and re-used in developments in Vancouver, Victoria and Coquitlam, B.C. About 400,000 board feet of lumber is salvaged and is the largest recycling project in B.C. in late 2005.

2007 – Maritime Helicopter Support Facilities, 12 Wing Shearwater
DCC awards a $99 million contract for the construction of three in-service Maritime Helicopter support facilities at 12 Wing Shearwater in Nova Scotia. The project includes renovating and upgrading infrastructure to accommodate the CF’s new CH-148 Cyclone helicopters.

2008 – Operation Tropical Hammer
DCC deploys staff to Jamaica to help Canadian and Jamaican Military Engineers and local contractors build classrooms, workshops and accommodations for the Caribbean country’s Defence Force.

2009 – Fleet Maintenance Facility, CFB Esquimalt
Responsible for the repair and overhaul of ships and auxiliary vessels, DCC’s procurement for the Fleet Maintenance Facility (FMF) Cape Breton Shop at CFB Esquimalt is a massive $250 million overhaul. The multi-phase project will transform the FMF’s 38 maintenance shops into one of the largest enclosed buildings on the West coast.

2010 – Consolidation Project, CFS St. John’s
DCC awards a $117-million contract for the consolidation of DND facilities at CFB St.John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador. The contract involves demolition, site remediation and new construction for more than 700 station personnel. The new four-storey, 28,000-square-metre facility houses vehicle maintenance garages, warehouse space, a mess hall and offices constructed to a LEED silver standard.

January - April 2010 – 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, Vancouver
DCC supports the Canadian Forces’ security support to the Games by providing a turnkey contracted solution for six temporary accommodation facilities (TAFs) to be located strategically throughout the area between North Vancouver and Pemberton (north of Whistler) from November 2009 to April 2010. The $40 million project provides a mix of 200- to 400-person TAFs to house 1,800 CF personnel. DCC manages the planning and implementation including site preparation and maintenance, food services, snow cleaning, garbage removal, recycling and demobilization after the event.

May 2010 – CH–147 Chinook MHLH program
At CFB Petawawa, DCC contracts to build the infrastructure required for the new CH-147 Chinook medium-heavy lift helicopter (MHLH) program. The project’s sophisticated, multipurpose facility set a new record for the largest single conventional construction contract award in DCC history to date—$138 million.

January 2011 – Communications Security Establishment Canada (CSEC)
DCC awards the largest public-private partnership contract in Canadian government history — an $880 million, five-year capital project to build a Long-Term Accommodation Project for CSEC, Canada’s national cryptologic agency. It is a new, purpose-built facility with combined office and special-purpose-space of more than 72,000 square metres.

2011 – 8 Wing CFB Trenton
DCC is involved with the procurement for numerous projects taking place at CFB Trenton — part of more than $860 million in infrastructure upgrades announced since 2007. The Corporation is managing the $84.7 million Maintenance Hangar 1 project to accommodate three CC-177 Globemaster III aircraft plus a new Air Mobility Training Centre, Material Distribution Centre, training accommodations building, electrical and mechanical engineering and transportation garage, and an aircraft refurbishing facility for the Aerospace and Telecommunications Engineering Support Squadron Refinishing Facility.